Know the Law
Some teens will try to talk their parents into allowing something that just
doesn't sound quite right. When you know the law, it is much easer to make
the right decision and stick with it.
The following laws are among those that parents need to know:
- No purchase, possession or consumption of alcohol under the age of 21.
(Subject to citation and fine)
- No purchase or possession of tobacco products under the age of 18.
- A false identification card is against the law. (Carries a charge of false
- Alcoholic beverages shall not be sold or furnished to a person under 21
years of age.
- A property owner may not allow minors to possess or consume alcohol on
- A property owner can be held responsible for injuries that happen due to
alcohol or drug consumption that takes place on his/her property.
- A person may not allow the consumption by minors of illegal drugs/alcohol
in his/her home.
- Possession of controlled substances without a valid prescription is
illegal. Anyone possessing such illegal drugs will be lodged at the Juvenile
Detention Center if a minor or in jail if over 18.
- A person may not have an open container of alcohol in his/her automobile
or in a public place (such as a street or sidewalk).
- In Sioux Falls, the curfew for people under 18 years old is between 11
P.M. and 4 A.M. Young people apprehended during those hours are taken to
Juvenile Detention Center, given a citation and charged a fine.
- Any adult having care and custody of a minor and who knowingly allows a
minor to violate curfew is subject to a maximum fine of $200 and/or jail.
- No driver under age 16 with a "restricted permit" may operate a vehicle
between 8 P.M. and 6 A.M. There are no exceptions. Violation will
result in the minor's license being revoked for thirty days; a second
violation will lead to the minor's driver's license being revoked until age
16. Violations may also lead to a $200 fine and/or jail.